This topic came up after the recent death of british teenager Scarlett Keeling on the beaches of Goa. This was soon followed by couple of other unsolved murders / deaths of other travelers. I’m still not sure if this was a conspiracy by other states to dilute the image of Goa as a foreigner’s paradise.
However the fact remains that no place is safe for a lady traveler.. Here are a few tips which could help you out.
Plan in advance
1. Make prior booking for travel and accommodation
2. Ask your contact and those who have visited earlier about the location u’ve chosen and also look for hotel reviews on reliable websites like Holidayiq.com etc
3. Carry list of emergency numbers including the ones that you know in that city
4. Try and use public transport or pre-paid cabs especially after dark as they are safer
1. Always make sure your family and friends know where you are traveling to and call them often to update on your location etc.
2. Try and carry a map of the city you are travelin to and get a bearing of your location and the places that you plan to cover
3. Try and blend into the crowd with regular clothes else people tend to take you for a ride… be it cabs or shops
4. If you travel alone, then find a travel partner before hand or make friends with other travelers at the location
How to avoid being drugged – If you like partying then u should read the following
1. Hold your drink at all times – do not leave it unattended
2. Keep an eye on the person who makes your drink
3. Know your limit and stick to it, you won’t be of great use to yourself if ur’ drunk
4. Hold important nos like cab service, police in that area and have a mobile in working order or carry change for a public booth
5. Stay aware of what you are drinking and if you feel unwell call your family doc or rush to the nearest hospital
Hope these tips are of help while your traveling or out partyin in your own hometown
some online links of Scarlett’s death