Kempagowda International Airport or earlier known as Bangalore International Airport is about 37 kms from city centre. While we all complained about the distance, we soon got used to it especially since there is a 6 lane signal free road connecting the airport from Mekhri Circle which cuts down travel time by 30 mins. Do note, there is a new toll being charged for this road while coming back from the Airport to the city at Rs 115 per visit.
So here is a short list of quick options to reach the airport or get back to the city.
1. Airport Bus : The cheapest option (for upto 2 passengers) is the air conditioned Volvo bus service from all parts of the city. Cost varies from Rs 170 to Rs 300 per person depending on the distance traveled. Log on to http://www.mybmtc.com/airportservices for more details about the route and timings.
2. Cabs – KIA has a lot of cab options to choose from and we’ve tried to sort them according to cost.
– TaxiforSure.com : Offers A/c Indica hatchback at Rs 700 (fixed fare including toll charge of Rs 115) and A/c Sedan at Rs 850 from Airport to Bangalore and city to Airport. Their metered fare is Rs 14 and Rs 16 per km from Indica and Sedan.
– Uber.com : is currently offering special promotions for their Uber X (40% discount) and Uber Black (25% discount) cabs anywhere in the city. The only catch is that you need to book it through their app and have uploaded your credit card details, else, you will not be able to use their services. Uber X will cost you about Rs 560 inclusive of toll for a distance of 45 kms with the 40% discount offer.
– Megacabs.com : They have a promotional offer of Rs 666 or Rs 699 + tax from anywhere in the city to the airport for all web and mobile bookings and they are reliable.
– Airport Authorized Cabs (No advance booking reqd): Mega Cabs, Meru and KSTDC are all part of the approved airport cabs which are available at the far end of the airport. They have a standard charge of Rs 19.50 per km from Airport to the city + toll extra and charge according to the meter.
– New Services (Not tested) : There are a few others like Meru Genie offering per km rate of Rs 10 during the day and Rs 12.50 during night time and Ola Cabs which offer sedan at Rs 600 for first 30 kms and Rs 16 /km after that or mini cabs at Rs 540 for first 30 kms and Rs 13 /km post that.
So depending on your budget and convenience, choose the option that suits you best.